Saturday, March 21, 2009

Brain, Brain, Go Away, Come Back Again Another Day(ve)...



"Literature" or "Little Richard", you decide...

Saturday, March 21, 2009... a day that you'll never have back again!!! How did you spend it, eh? Was it a relatively 'up' day, or did it trend downward, eh? Any regrets? Any time wasted that you would spend differently now, all things considered?

I spent today in the following fashion - I'll be brief! Sheesh!

Jahovah's Witnesses woke me up again this morning - this time to invite me to a "Memorial Service for Jesus Christ"... Again, I answered the door mostly asleep, so I didn't ask them why they chose that particular wording for the event... I thought you had a memorial service for someone that was dead? Anyway, another free piece of literature to add to my slowly growing stack. I wonder if they'll drop by tomorrow? If they do, should I invite them in for hot tea and crumpets? Or should I hide in the bushes and throw pee balloons at them?

Ah, decision, decisions!

Wandered the mall a bit, pulled highlights from the two transcripts I edited for Piranha (to make into Hot Tips Sheets), and played several different games! How multi-talented, eh! Eh! Fallout 3, UT, UT3, Battlefield 2... I even started up a free 10-Day Trial of World of Warcraft! I was all over the flippin' place! How fitting, considering my personality...

I've been trending toward manic a lot lately, and I'm not sure why. Actually, that's not entirely true - I do have some ideas, but nothing I wouldn't be somewhat ashamed to share here... let's just say it has something to do with me almost being 40, sensing my own mortality, wondering what on earth I've done with myself so far in life, yadda yadda yadda... Not a pleasant stretch of self-reflection... but at least I have a sportscar to look forward to at the conclusion of it, right? That is the tradition, yes?

Hmm... what color Porsche...? I like my sportscars like I like my wives... small, brown and loud...

lol, I should erase that....

The following is a brief whine that no one but someone who plays/played BF2 will understand... ahem... "GRRR! I was one kill away from getting my Veteran's Sniper Badge tonight! GRRRRR!!!!"

That concludes the obscure rant of the evening. We now return you to your regularly scheduled hot air...

Reading more of Hawkwood's Voyage. It's not bad. But Abbie loaned me a Grisham novel that she highly recommends (Runaway Jury), so I'm debating putting Kearney on hold and taking a break from Fantasy for a bit, to read Grisham. I've read two Grisham books before - wasn't too impressed, but I'll definitely give this one a try - if Abbie says it's good, it must be...

Church tomorrow! Yay! (trying to psyche myself up for it).

Tried watching an old British comedy TV series with Rowan Atkinson (aka Mr Bean) in it, called Black Adder last night. 1 episode was enough for me. Believe it or not, it was too silly for me. Go figure! Too silly? For ME? I'm the king of silly! What can I say? It just didn't click for me.

Todayve In History: March 22nd
----------------------------------------

- March 22, 1758: Jonathan Edwards died. He's a famous dude in Church History, actually. A colonnial theologian/preacher, staunch defender of Calvinism (that's for Josh! I have no quip here, sorry...)

Might as well keep it religious (it is Sunday, you know!)

- March 22, 1457: The Gutenberg Bible becomes the first book ever printed. (And some yahoo highlighted John 3:16 with a highlighter pen and ruined it!)

- Carbonated water was invented on this day in 1733. (Pass the Dr. Pepper!)

- The first shopping mall opened this day in 1954, in Southfield MI. (That's for wifey! Even though she has never read my blog once... aw, poor me...))

All in all, I'd say today was a good one for me. I also got in some exercise - I walked home from the mall, which was about a mile, I'd say... maybe... of course, I won't mention that it was because I ate a combo from McDonalds while at the mall. I tell ya, that food is so disgusting, I wonder why on earth I ever eat there? I don't do it very often, and it's cheap. Those are my excuses. And somehow, I feel it gets canceled out by walking a mile.

Well, at least I'm not this guy:



Sorry, Yanni... I'll never understand soccer...

Anyway, that's it for today. Until tomorrow, remember, a little pain never hurt...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

no, not World of Warcraft??? :(

btw, have you ever read The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind? i'm watching a TV show called Legend of the Seeker which is based on his books and i absolutely love it... so i'm thinking of adding these books to my reading queue ;)

Anonymous said...

oh dave, i hope you like it :P it isn't the same style as what you usually read, if I were to compare it to the writings of the dude you just gave me. But, I like the story and the ending is fun, so hopefully it wont disappoint :) I've read the prologue, and I'm going to get under my warm covers and read some more so I'll give you an update tonight! Thanks again...

David Wagner said...

I've read mixed comments about Terry Goodkind, but I have yet to read a book of his. I'm sure I will, ultimately, but now that you've recommended him, I'll bump him up the list!

Abbie, I think you'll like the Rothfuss book - it really is a great read.

kingphatcow said...

In addition to being a staunch defender of Calvinism, he is regarded by many as one of the brightest minds in American history. That's probably WHY he was a Calvinist!