Sunday, March 22, 2009

Jesus Swept



Frozen Bubbles in some cold lake somewhere. Pretty cool, eh? Man, it must be cold for fish farts to freeze like that...

Sundays are usually pretty good, and this was no exception. Double church duty again today, as is my custom. Only thing out of the ordinary was going to the rug shop between services briefly, to photograph a pair of rugs and email them to a client, and also Eldest Daughter stayed home, somewhat under the weather. Other than that, the typical: Moderately tense ride to church, meet-n-greet some folks, do my church duty in the Upper Room, a Rubio's lunch, some Fallout 3 between services, a casual drive to evening church (with only Daughter #2 along), more church duty, drive home, more Fallout 3, now blog, read and go the heck to bed!

Whew!

Loaned Abbie The Name of the Wind today - hope she likes it. Pardon me for a moment while I address Abbie directly, should she be reading this. Ahem. "Abbie! If you don't like it, no sweat! Don't just read it on my account! If it's not your bag, it's all good!"

There, housekeeping done!

Working on new comics, should be up soon. Patience, young Padawan!

Run! Flying cats!



Do you ever look at yourself in the mirror and not recognize yourself? Do you ever point at yourself in the mirror and ask "Who are you?" Every now and then I get a strange disconnect where it feels weird to look at myself in the mirror... "What do people see when they look at me?" I don't mean that in a narcissistic way... honestly, you know how you see someone and subconsciously, there's an undercurrent that is either positive or negative, on a scale of 1 to 100. You see a person, and your inner gauge registers "mildly positive" or "strongly negative" or "uh... this is uncomfortable, I wish he/she would stop talking to me and move along..."

You know, sub-level affinities and antipathies of varying degrees, that sort of thing. Do people see me and hope they can quickly walk away before I notice them and try to chat with them? Do people tolerate my goofiness since there's a subconscious understanding that I'm basically a harmless goof? Do people perk up a bit in a positive way when they see me, happy to say hello and catch up for a minute? What do people see when they see me?

That's how the mirror thing fits in. I know what it's like to view the world from within me (trust me, it's every bit as scattered and bizarre as you might think it is...), still I wonder who I really am. Bah, self-absorption on a massive scale, likely. Well, in this case, maybe... but I think as methodically and frantically about lots of other stuff, too...

On This Dayve In History: March 23
--------------------------------------

- March 23, 1929: Roger Bannister was born - he's the first to run a mile in under 4 minutes. (Pretty impressive for a guy running in cowboy boots!)

- March 23, 1743: Handel's Messiah premiered in London. (Pretty impressive for a guy composing in cowboy boots!)

- March 23, 1929: The first telephone is installed in the White House. (The first call was: "Hello, Moscow? Is your refrigerator running?")

- March 23, 1775: Patrick Henry proclaims "Give me liberty or give me death!"

The revisionist version, via The Far Side:



I told a bad pun in my dream last night - it was so bad I remembered it when I woke up... ready? I'm gonna tell it to you... in my dream, a lady told me she was from Belize. My reply to her? "I keep telling people that, but no one Belize me!"

You see, "Belize" is pronounced "Bell-Ease"... see, sort of like "believes" in a way... see? Get it? Get it? Bah, I told you it was a bad one... my theory is that the only thing that makes bad puns somewhat funny is if you over-explain them after saying them... you see, Belize is pronounced "bell-ease", see.....

Well, cleanse your mind with this funny video - it's the opening montage from the 2006 Emmy's...



Until tomorrow, remember, time may be a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what do I see when I look at you..so much..and its all good dear...your the host and life here is the Emmys..I like your view of all things good and bad...look forward to more..Carla

Anonymous said...

hey dave,
at chapter 18 so far...just past a sad part :( but, i like that he is telling the story, that is cool!