Tuesday, March 24, 2009

One Argyle Sock, Stretched Over My Head... That's All I Ask...



"Skeptic" or "Septic", you decide...

I saw a bumper sticker on a septic truck one time that said "Have You Hugged Your Septic Pumper Today?" Every so often, that will pop back into my head, bring a quick smile, and then flee just as quickly. I always thought the idea of tossing cynics into "the skeptic tank" was amusing as well... then again, I am a goof...

Not a bad day today, all things considered. Mellow. Pretty standard blend of work, play and web lurking. Although I did eat lunch today with my dad (and my 3 year old), which was nice. It was good to catch up. Got the editing finished on the first version of the Rug Shop Tour video clip I'm been wrestling with for a week (or more) now. Finally got a narration track that was loud enough!

Watched a couple short WW2-related documentaries this afternoon as well - good stuff for a history buff like me... I tossed the DVD set of Band of Brothers into my Amazon shopping cart afterwards - a symbolic gesture at this point. Need to wait until I'm in slightly better financial shape before making any extraneous purchases. I'm kind of financially retarded, unfortunately. Or as I like to call myself, "an incompoop." 

Come on, that's a good one, you gotta give me that much at least...

Read more of the Runaway Jury last night, and I can say I'm sufficiently hooked. Never considered myself much of a Grisham fan, but this one is a good read.

I also read my nightly chapter of Isaiah, which was rudely interrupted by my brain tracking off on a pair of juicy tangents (for me, anyway...). The first one stemmed from a previous observation I made a few weeks ago, about the Bible basically following the same classic, basic storyline structure as a Fantasy Epic (like LOTR), but I came to realize that really, so many different genres are covered in the Bible, a case can be made that it fits just about anywhere.

It's a action story. It's a love story. It's a history book. It's a biography. It's a book of philosophy. It's a fantasy epic. It's a supernatural thriller. It's a horror book. It's a mystery. It's a self-help book. It's a young adult novel. It's a hymn book. It's a book of doctrine. It is (some would argue) a book of myths and legends. It's a book of military strategy. It's a political book. It's a book of futurism/prophecy. It's a documenting of correspondence between people. 

What genre does it not fit into? Science fiction? I'm sure that case could be made as well...

The other tangent just about short circuited my brain, and it had to do basically with what God is and where He came from. Here's the short version: "If our universe can sit in His hand, in what realm does God exist? Where does He live? What environment/atmoshpere does He go about His way in?"

Here's the verse that triggered it:

Isaiah 43:10: "You are my witnesses," declares the Lord, "and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me."

I can't get my brain around the idea that God simply always has existed - and that He is the only one of His kind. Seriously? Part of me thinks He must have come from somewhere, had to have had a beginning sometime, even if it was so long ago that it scrambles the brain. He's always existed... um... it's not that I don't believe Him, obviously, He only tells the truth... I just have no way to file it away in my brain anywhere... I keep telling it to circle the airport and wait instructions on which runway to land on in my brain...

What does the realm look like that He lives in? Or does He expand to fill everything... the alternative is that there can theoretically exist a place in which He is not. What is He? A sentient mist? Jesus I can almost understand, Him being a man and all... but the Father? What the heck?

It was about that time that my brain short-circuited and I began to drool. At that point, I've found it's best to call it a night...

OK, enough vain theology! My profound and profuse apologies!

Todayve In History: March 25th
-------------------------------------
- Frank Oz was born on this day in 1944. He did the voice for a lot of the Muppets and Sesame Street characters. (At least he doesn't do Elmo's voice... whoever came up with Elmo needs a swift kick to the nether-regions every day for the rest of his life...)

- March 25, 1863: The first Medal of Honor was awarded. (No joking allowed here, under penalty of treason!)

- March 25, 1896: The first modern Olympics begins in Athens Greece. (The Javelin Catch did not go over too well...)

Well, I'm not sure where to take this post, so I might as well end on a funny note and call it a night:



Until tomorrow, remember, one good turn gets most of the blankets...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay dave, i'm glad you are liking it so far! That warms my heart, seriously! I'm in the middle of yours; it is growing on me :P

Unknown said...

I leave for a week and I come back to find nudity on Dave's blog. What is this world coming to.

Unknown said...

Nudity? Buried.