Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Why, Yes, I Do Happen To Have Buns of Steel...



Man, today slunk by like a dream or something. I can't believe it's over already. Almost missed my midnight deadline for this post! I'm juggling work, play & comic creation at the moment. I haven't finished any of the three yet! I need to get the initial version of the Piranha newsletter done tonight. Sorry, that takes priority over the comic, which is close, but not quite done.

Again, I need to re-think my approach, and simplify. I find that every strip I do I get more and more elaborate with the design, and my perfectionism is causing problems. The problem is, each strip I do shows me more and more about what's possible, so I keep pushing the envelope each time. I'm sure if you read all 7 strips so far, you'll see what I'm talking about. 7 strips, lol. Hardly qualifies me as a pro. I'm still quite firmly in the "dabbler" category... still, I enjoy doing them. I appreciate your patience.

Good day today, all things considered. Went on a nice walk with wifey after she got home. Found out the marketing is working at the shop, which is nice. The systems at the shop still need tweaking, which I hope to be able to contribute to in some helpful fashion. I know mom could use the help - but sometimes I feel like such a fake. Wish I could be what she needs, but I'm not sure I can. 

The family is going to Sea World tomorrow - through the home school program, of course. That way it's just $5 per ticket instead of the normal ridiculous admission fee (somewhere north of $40). No way I could afford to send them otherwise. My three year old has been counting down the days - which in and of itself is kind of cool. A three year old that understands subtraction and can do it... well, maybe other kids her age can do it too, I don't know, but still, it amazes/amuses me.

By the time you read this, it will be April 1st. If I had thought about it, perhaps I could have played a prank on you all. There's tons of prank video clips online - the current trend seems to be wiring your dorm room doorknob so that when your roommate comes home, it jolts him with electricity. Wonder who the moron was that thought that one up?

Todayve In History: April 1st
---------------------------------
- April 1st, 1748: The ruins of Pompeii were found. (Robert Harris' novel on Pompeii is a good read.)

- April 1st, 1826: Samuel Mory patents the internal combustion engine. (Later that day, someone poured sugar in his gas tank.)

- April 1st, 1945: US forces launch the invasion of Okinawa during World War 2.

- April 1st, 1976: Wozniak and Jobs originate Apple Computers. (If Apple made a vacuum, would they call it 'iSuck'?)

I have an interest in Pompeii, since the opening scene of my own novel takes place there. And, ironically enough, the climax of my novel takes place during the assault on Shuri Castle, during the battle of Okinawa in WW2. Seriously. If I was writing it on an Apple computer that was powered by an internal combustion engine, that would be really weird!

Here's a funny Family Guy clip for you...


Going to pack it in for today. I hope your computers are safe from that much-feared virus that's supposed to launch tomorrow!

Until tomorrow, remember, I'm not cheap... but I am on special this week...

2 comments:

The One and Only, Bobinho said...

Happy April Fools Day, Dave!

Anonymous said...

great blog as usual sir



dave-o