Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Oops... I Wet My Plants...



What day of the week was this? Wednesday? Hmm...

Was a purty good day. Went into the Rug Shop, got some things done, had some meetings, yadda yadda yadda. I'm sure you don't tune in to read boring stuff like that... you tune in to find out exciting stuff, like what I had for lunch, right?! Burger and a Rockstar.

Hey, I aim to please....

Honestly, very little happened today. Therefore, I am forced to entertain you by reciting the Gettysburgh Address in a horribly bad Russian Accent while wearing a kilt and eating another steaming plate of Habanero Haggis... When it kills me, please make sure, in my obituary, it says, "He died doing what he loved."

Man, the lengths I go to in order to keep you entertained!

Instead, I think I'll post another video from a very funny Japanese gameshow. It's almost 10 minutes long, but trust me, it is very funny. You don't have to watch the last minute or so... you'll see why if you get that far...



Hope you enjoyed that. If you enjoyed that clip half as much as I enjoyed it... well, then I suppose I enjoyed it twice as much as you did...

I need a good laugh lately. I'm kind of sick of the "woe is me, end of the world" vibe everywhere. It's hard to listen to talk radio anymore. Michael Savage, Sean Hannity, Glen Beck, Rush, Mark Levin... even some of the local hacks. They go on and on about how awful things are right now, and only going to get worse, and Obama is incompetent and the economy will never recover and yadda yadda yadda... I just can't stomach it anymore. 

Yeah, things are tough, I get it. A lot of people are going through tough times, and I sympathize. I know what it's like to have your world brought to a screeching halt, turned upside-down and shaken vigorously. I'm not minimizing that. The coldest, hardest lesson I learned in that situation was that the rest of the world pretty much carries on as if nothing happened. I wanted the rest of the world to stop too, but it kept grinding on. That first week after Bryan died, anyone around me that laughed I wanted to perform a tracheotomy on with a rusty meat thermometer. It was a gut thing, not a head thing.

I'd love it if I never went through something like that again, but I hold out the possibility that I will, at some point in the future. But I keep it in a corner of my mind, in a drawer, not in the forefront. I'd like to live in light, not in dread. The talk radio seems to be trying to get people to live in dread. I catch a whiff of it, and I shut it off. I'm not talking about burying my head in the sand - I want to live and enjoy my health and my family and what is at hand, fully. Not get all hunched over with dread at the awful things that might happen in the future.

Honestly, the same thing applies to sermons and teachings at church. Sometimes I think, "If I have to hear one more dour and foreboding teaching about how great trouble is just around the corner and death and destruction will be everyone's portion, I'm just gonna fill my ears in with spackle." I know there's wisdom in preparing for trouble. But living in a constant state of impending doom really wears you down after a while. I'm not asking for fluff, but it would certainly be nice to hear something practical and not emotional, with clear, positive instruction on what to do if such and such happens, but in the meantime, rejoice in the King!

Pastor said it years ago: "All there is is now." If we learn how to handle "right now," then it won't matter what comes, we'll be in a place to hear and respond. Period. Easy solution. No need for dread and doom and fear and blood running in the streets, etc. etc. I'll never understand the whole approach of "Now, don't be scared, but God told me that He's going to punish our country severely, so prepare! It's going to be awful!" 

Isn't there a way to be prepared for anything, but still enjoy life?

Ah, well. Again, I'm not downing anybody, especially not Pastor, I just have had enough dread. Somehow, I get the idea that we're supposed to be rejoicing and enjoying what the King has given us, until He decides to take it away, for whatever reason He sees fit. It's all His anyway. 

Does any of that make sense? Or am I delusional? Meh, I better go watch that video clip again so I can laugh...

One more thing - and yes, it's theological, so Bob, you can skip down to the funny picture now. There's that verse that says not to become weary in well-doing...

2 Thessalonians 3:13: But as for you, brethren, do not grow weary in doing good.

Is that something that a person can control himself? I find myself weary of well doing. Is that something I'm just supposed to set my mind to stop? Is that in my power to change? 

I'm just wrung out, spiritually.

Bah, whatever. Here's a funny picture:



Well, it's kinda funny, anyway...

Well, I've rambled enough. I'm going to pass on the daily trivia for today. The next comic is coming - warning: it's not for the easily-offended. But it makes me laugh. Selfish of me, I know...

Until tomorrow, fair thee well, O leg of mine...

7 comments:

Bob the Builder said...

i managed to watch about 4 minutes of the clip... those japanese people must really be bored :D

David Wagner said...

Bob, you gotta watch the next 4 minutes too! The last one is the best!

Bob the Merciful said...

i couldn't take it anymore :(

Just Bob said...

ok, that with the huge balloon was really funny :D

Abbie said...

haha dave, i watched it all. My favorite was the beginning, cause the asian guy right next to the big black guy was hysterical!! the way he was laughing cracked me up every time!!! plus, someone's laugh was so funny; i think it was the camera man :D thanks for sharing!!
eh, and I know what you mean about all the drear stuff, and the part about being "good". I don't think that it is somehting we can just control, cause I have to ask for God's help all the time to be good and nice because there is only so much that I can do on my own. For instance,(& I was just talking to mom about this) i work so hard to be good/nice when I'm with friends or at work but as soon as I get home i'm done trying, so the slightest thing will anger me and I react poorly.
Just a thought...

Unknown said...

that video is one of my favs. So much so that it was the only video on my iphone for awhile. I always skip the old guy though, it is so gross :( There is something about the silent chuckle that makes me laugh uncontrollably. Kinda like when you're sitting in church, someone lays one and chokes down a laugh. There is no way I CANNOT laugh like a school girl. Usually the best antidote is to cover my ears and close my eyes. It rarely works.

btw, I feel you on the doom thing. I can't listen to talk radio anymore. I even removed the news bookmarks from my browser. Just sick of reading about all of the injustice. You've probably seen that Paris mugging video by now. Stuff like that...

Abbie: I realized a few months ago that I was doing the same thing. It was like all my patience drained away until I was a different person when I got home. tis a work in progress...

Abbie said...

amen...but a slow work it seems:(
for me at least.