Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Pass Me Some Of That "Fizzy Lifting Drink"!



Happy Earth Day!

I only say that because saying "happy birthday" is overdone, and saying "happy mirth day" would be redundant...

Today, the hippie tree-huggers come out to prance about and scold everyone for being bad stewards of the Big Blue Marble that we all meander about on, as if we had good sense. Seriously, if we stopped to think about how SERIOUSLY INSANE it is that we are on this relatively infinitesimal speck of dust hurtling through the ungodly vast reaches of limitless space, we'd all drop a collective log right now, and make a bee-line for underneath our beds.

While I certainly am not in favor of pollution, I agree with the idea that it's pretty darn narcissistic of us "as a race" to think that we could have long-tern, lasting, negative impact on the earth. Nature seems to be able to take care of itself, thank you very much. How would you like to wake up one morning and see this from your second story window...



Whenever I remember the Boxing Day '04 Tsunami, that is the image that first pops into my brain. There used to be a neighborhood full of people there! Just minutes before that video was shot! It's kind of hard to grasp the enormity of the loss of life and destruction brought about by a hiccuping earth that day. That level of event tends to slap the narcissism right out of a person.

Here's another amazing video, of a landslide in Japan a few years back (no one died in this one):



Reminds me of the Ents marching on Isengard!

The prancing tree-huggers wouldn't bother me so much if they didn't wield such power now, as far as making laws and restrictions and fines and crazy nonsense that impacts everyone, without much science behind it. Global Warming? Bah! Color me unconvinced! As far as I am currently concerned, it is hokum of the highest order, fodder for the gullible masses that are swayed by emotion over facts.

In fact, I will now honor a person whose contribution to the discussion of Global Warming has most amused me. Yes, it's Mr. Methane...



Wow! That's three video clips in one post! I think that's a record for me. Well, I might as well set the bar high for next time. I apologize for those of you with slower connections.

I also edited together another episode of My Favorite Movie Scenes tonight. For some reason, Viddler isn't letting me upload it - I believe their site is having issues. I uploaded it to my YouTube account, but who knows how long it will be allowed to stay. They've instituted some stringent copyright protections as of late, and it has frustrated my efforts to put these Favorite Scene episodes up there. Viddler is not a problem, but YouTube is touchy.



Once I get it up to Viddler, I'll replace the embed.

Got some work done on the Rug Care Central site again - that's my primary project of late. Once the shopping cart is up and hoppin', I can move on to other areas of the site. I want it to rock.

I think I'll forego the daily trivia for the day - I've hit you with enough nonsense for the day. I hope I didn't offend anyone with my cynicism about environmental nuttism. Again, I'm all for a clean environment, and responsible living, I just think it's easy for the pendulum to swing too far the other way, and unnecessarily hamper lives.

Yes, I just used the word "hamper". Sorry.

Gonna bail. Until tomorrow, remember, Reality is for people who can't handle Star Trek.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, helping the global environment by making it too expensive to produce in America. After all, if it can't be made here it will be made by a country with less restrictions. I would argue that is actually worse for the environment not to mention our economy.

I wonder if the flood was some kind of tsunami on steroids or if the water level rose slowly. I think I'd take our firestorms over a tsunami.

I'm not making eggs, it's a science experimentEven Bob should be able to get that one without Google. o_0

David Wagner said...

The first clip was the Tsunami from Dec 26, 2006, in Banda Aceh, Indonesia. The full clip shows them outside beforehand, when everything was relatively normal - must have been pre-quake, too, since they all seemed pretty mellow and even happy. What a nightmare. I cannot imagine the terror. Also, later in the clip, when they are peering down into the first level, they show some pretty grisly debris that had washed into their house with the water... I won't elaborate.

[shudder] man, let's change the subject! How 'bout that mr. methane, eh! O_o

Abbie said...

wow, that was crazy! the landslide seriously looked like it belonged in the movies not real life! yikes...
Referring back to the guitar clip Dave- my dad said it was an interesting style. He thought the song was a little boring but otherwise the style was cool. He checked out some more of the guy's stuff too, said that the guy had a bass/guitar. Pretty nifty....

Abbie said...

hey, that was a good favorite scenes! i went to imdb to see the preview, and it looks really cool! but sad... :( I don't handle sad movies that well... so i don't know yet. Thanks for telling us about it though!!

Unknown said...

Speaking of global warming, you may be able to store electricity in the form of methane in the near future.


Snip:
It works like this: giving small jolts of electricity to single-celled microorganisms known as archea prompts them to remove C02 from the air and turn it into methane, released as tiny "farts." The methane, in turn, can be used to power fuel cells or to store the electrical energy chemically until its needed.

David Wagner said...

Nice! I always knew some day I could be a productive member of society! I'll start saving my methane now...

Glad to hear your dad's thoughts on Adam McKee, Abbie, thanks for the follow up. And check out that movie! Yeah, parts are sad, but it's well worth the ride.