Sunday, August 16, 2009

Well, You Look Nervous... Is It the Scars? You Want to Know How I Got 'Em?


"Berlin Wall" or "Whirlin' Ball," you decide...

Hello, hello!

"Hello" is not a religious enough greeting... we should all start saying "heaveno", shouldn't we? Why should hell be so popular?

The last bit of birthday is running itself out. It has been a good run. The Scrabble party yesterday, which I thought was great. Had a great lunch at my mommy's house between services today. Had some great conversation with my sister. Got to see some of my granddad's WW2 stuff, which I can't wait to digitize and add to a memorial page on Wagnervana. Mellow day today, which was much appreciated.

Side benefits include: Eldest Daughter is kind of hooked on Scrabble now, so I may have a more frequent playing partner in the near future, for a while at least. I can teach her everything I know! Another birthday side effect is that it will be a loooong time until I need to pay at Starbucks again. Starbucks gift cards seemed to be the gift of choice this year. I'm certainly not complaining; the more the merrier, I say. I also have a *very* healthy sum in Amazon gift cards as well. YAY!!!!

Books! I want books! I think I'm going to buy some Beatles CDs as well. Apparently, in addition to the Beatles singing "Can't Buy Me Love", they also sing "Can't Buy Our Music On iTunes." You know how long it's been since I bought an actual CD? We're all about iTunes in this house. But I've been craving some Beatles lately, so I guess I'll go CD shoppin' online... I like the ability to pick and choose songs on iTunes rather than having to buy a whole album...

I also was contemplating buying the new Wolfenstein game that is coming out in a few days... but I can't find any advanced reviews, or even previews where a recent playtesting was done... which is very odd, and usually a clear sign that the game will suck. I'll definitely wait to pull the trigger on the game until I see the PC Gamer review. Otherwise it could be a $50 mistake... I got burned at Christmas on that Jason and the Argonauts turd that I bought instead of waiting for the review. I thought it would be like Titan Quest. It was nothing like it. I routinely have more fun washing the dishes than I did playing that game. So I'll wait.

Time for the Topic Chain of the Day! Watch in awe as I link these disparate topics together!

First, a funny police video... yes, it's funny, but has to be staged...



I cannot imagine that is legit. But it's good for a quick chuckle...

Now here's a Funny Pic of Hello Kitty, getting arrested...


Or getting a citation, at least... I guess, for consistency's sake, I could call it Heaveno Kitty...

Now here's a Funny Picture of a Hello Kitty Zombie Cake...

I doubt that was done on Ace of Cakes. I guess, in a way, it is a cake that is perfect for any occasion... even my birthday...

Now, here is a Zombie Chicken Award my blog received yesterday, from Follower Krista...

The Zombie Chicken Award
The blogger who receives this award believes in the Tao of the zombie chicken - excellence, grace and persistence in all situations, even in the midst of a zombie apocalypse. These amazing bloggers regularly produce content so remarkable that their readers would brave a raving pack of zombie chickens just to be able to read their inspiring words. As a recipient of this world-renowned award, you now have the task of passing it on to at least 5 other worthy bloggers. Do not risk the wrath of the zombie chickens by choosing unwisely or not choosing at all.

Well, what do you know! My first blog-related award! And on my birthday, no less! How cool is that? First I'd like to thank all of the little people... any midgets or leprechauns in the house? No? Ok, I guess I'll thank all the big people then. That covers the rest of you.

I probably won the award based on the clever, hard-hitting, deeply-moving, occasionally gassy content, such as the seamless transitioning from Police to Police/Hello Kitty to Hello Kitty Zombie to Zombie Chicken. That... is rank professionalism right there. I should win a Phewlitzer Prize for sure...

Oh, man, now I need to pass the award on to 5 more blogs... I guess I'll pick these:

- Paula's Blog: My Writeful Place (Update more, dangit!)
- Havah's Blog: Havanesque (Update more, dangit!)
- Marky's Blog: The Life and Times of Me (Update more, dangit!)
- Dave-O's Blog: The Start of the End, or the END of a Start (Update more, dangit!)
- My own future blog: Dave's House of Theology, Scatology, Fine Arts and Insect Control (Start the blog, dangit!)

Uh oh... will I risk the wrath of the zombie chickens by awarding it to myself..?

Todayve in History: August 17
----------------------------------

Wait a minute! I missed Todayve in History for the 16th! I can't miss my birthday history bits! I better combine the two...

Todayve in History: August 16 & 17
----------------------------------------
- August 16, 1954: The first issue of Sports Illustrated is published. (And it was the Swimsuit Issue...)
- August 16, 1962: Ringo Starr replaces Pete Best as the drummer of the Beatles. (I guess he wasn't the "best" drummer after all! BUAHAHAHAHA!!! O_o )
- August 16, 1977: Elvis Presley kicks the bucket at Graceland at the age of 42. (Ladies and Gentlemen, Elvis has left the planet!)
- August 16, 2009: Usain Bolt breaks the 100 meter world record (track n field) at the World Championships in Berlin - exactly 1 year to the day after breaking the same record in the Beijing Olympics. (What are the odds of that? That happened today!)

Also born on August 16: Kathy Lee Gifford (1953), James Cameron (1954), Angela Bassett (1958), Madonna (1958), and Steve Carell (1962). Dang, that's quite a line-up! Also, Paula said that her own brother was born Aug 16, 1970... the exact day as me! What the heck are the odds of that? Now if he was also born inside a moving ferris wheel, that would be way too bizarre...

People that died on August 16 include: Babe Ruth (1948), Margaret Mitchell (1949), Bela Lugosi (1956), Elvis (1977), and the original Shamu (you know... Sea World... died in 1991). That's also quite a lineup! Margaret Mitchell wrote Gone With the Wind, by the way... hey, if it has to do with wind, I need to mention it here... She's one of those rare writers that wrote only one novel her whole career...

You know what? I'll save the August 17th info for the Directors' Cut version of today's post over at Wagnervana... dude, you KNOW you want to go check it out after you finish here... and by "finish here", I mean read the rest of this post and then leave a comment...

Guess I'll finish off today's post with the Gutbuster of the Day... from This Is Why You're Fat... it is truly horrifying.

Behold, the Fool's Gold Loaf Sandwich. A loaf of hollowed-out bread, filled with creamy peanut butter, an entire jar of grape jelly and a full pound of bacon. O... M... G... not even a triple-dog-dare would get me to eat that...

Well, I have a lot more I could share, but I guess I'll save some for tomorrow. Until then, remember, this is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object.

8 comments:

havah said...

Nice lead-up to the Zombie Chicken award *lol*

And now...oh, the pressure to perform! :-0

As for that sandwich-like-thing...even I won't try that. Really.

Bobinho said...

happy birthday, dave.. although i'm a little late for that :/

what's with the batman quote?? that's just reckless of you :P

David Wagner said...

Havah: Yeah, that monstrosity of a sandwich is truly heinous. I might even say 'evil'... Now go update your blog! It earned a prestigious award, you know!

Bob: Just cuz the Quote Contest is on hiatus doesn't mean I can't still use some cool quotes, eh! Now go start a blog so I can give it an award! Thanks for the birthday greetings; it was a good day.

By the way, I used "heinous" and "hiatus" in the same comment... do I win something for that too?

logankstewart said...

Ha, Dave, I heard on K-Love the other day that some town in Texas is actually trying to switch "hello" with "heaveno" for the same reasons. Pretty funny stuff there.

Also, you can buy individual mp3s on Amazon, as well as full mp3 albums, which are often cheaper than purchasing them on itunes.

Krista said...

That sandwich looks soooo Gross!

Paula Titus said...

Yay my first award! I'll print it out and have it framed. :) Is that weird?

I didn't know you were born in the same year as my brother too! Wow, how cool.. you do remind me of him a bit with the sense of humor, except he's an atheist with a drinking problem, so I guess you don't remind me of him that much. :)

Abbie said...

that sandwich actually looked kinda good, until I realized that the condiments were jelly and peanut butter... foul.... :( haha, good for wags!! you need a protege, lol :)

David Wagner said...

Logan: I didn't steal the idea from K-Love, I promise! I thought it up, all on my ownsies! Thanks for the heads-up on the Amazon music. I'll definitely check that out.

Krista: Dig in! MUAHAHAHA!!!!

Paula: Do you want me to make a high-resolution version of the award for you to print out? Oh, and I'll just tell your brother hello at the next 8/16/70 Club meeting... Hmm... he's an atheist, eh? Guess I'll tell him "heaveno" and hope for the best...

Abbie: Dig in too! MUAHAHAHA!!!!