Thursday, April 28, 2011

Readin' Fool, Free Samples and Easter Eggs...



I finished A Storm of Swords last night, and have moved on to A Feast for Crows. I'm ripping through the series much faster than I had anticipated. In fact, just between the three Martin books alone, I've read over a million words this month! If I finish Feast by Sunday, I can tack another 300K to that total. That's a lot o' readin', eh! Are you duly impressed?

I have always held that the third book, A Storm of Swords, was the best of the first three, but over the last couple years, I'd read cases made for the other two books being better than Storm, so I was curious to see, reading them all together like I just have, if my opinion would change at all. It has not. As much as I liked the first two books, Storm of Swords is by far the best of the series. Every storyline is so engrossing, and they twist and turn, and each one -- EACH ONE -- ends on such a high note, it was a joy to read. Very well done.

It would be pointless to do reviews of Book 2 and Book 3, without getting all spoilerific.

And now I am a few chapters into Feast, and the shift is pronounced. So many new characters introduced. I have mixed feelings about it. In a way, it's almost a fresh read for me, since I've only read Feast once, when it first came out in 2005. It is just barely dancing on the edges of my recollection, so I'm curious to see how this read-through plays out. So many people online disparage the fourth book, I'm wanting to see how it stacks up, reading all four back-to-back. The fact that I barely remember it is not a good sign...

The other bummer is that July 12 is so far away! Ah, well. Good things come to those who wait...


On a related note, my latest addiction is downloading samples of books on my Kindle app. Whereas before I would just buy a book outright, I have taken to collecting samples. For example, I read that the Hugo Award nominees were announced, so I pulled up the list, loaded up my Kindle app and downloaded free samples of all of the nominees for Best Novel. When the Gemmell Awards nominees are announced, I'll do the same thing. Plus, I lurk about on many book-related websites, and when I see something intriguing, I do the same. That way, if I like what I read, I'll either buy it or plan a library trip. Much better than making a wishlist somewhere, or buying and stashing books on my shelves.

Similarly, I've taken to downloading free demos of games instead of buying them. I have as many unplayed games on my shelves as I do unread books. This new philosophy will save me money in the long run, methinks. It makes smart financial sense in these perilous and unstable times!



Nerves of steel. I would need a change of shorts after that, for sure. I don't know if that was really brave or really dumb. Or maybe he just has world-class faith.

I don't know who would make a worse President, Donald Trump or Sarah Palin... *shudder*

So, I believe my facial-hair conundrum has been solved! Apparently, there's a new facial hair trend out now called The Monkeytail, and it may just be the answer to what I should do with my beard! Take a look at this dude...


So, the beard starts at one ear, travels down the jaw line, and sling-shots around the mouth, ending in a traditional mustache... You need to check this gallery out to see some more pictures of dudes sporting this look. One guy even striped his, to make it look more like a tail... in fact, lemme grab that pic, hold on...


Yes, I know it's ridiculous. I know. And no, I'll likely not actually do it. I'm just surprised that so many guys seem to be into it, that's all. Kind of an exhibitionist thing, I guess. Well, it certainly is less extreme than mohawks, tattoos, body piercings and/or streaking...

Well, perhaps you might find this next bit more interesting. Apparently, some dude has been photoshopping the original cast of Star Trek into old time black-n-white photos, with some awesome results. Check this out...




Come on, that's cool... go here to check out a bunch of other ones, as well as other classic photo mash-ups... such as other popular stars photoshopped into still-shots from the original Star Wars movie. Marylin Monroe as Princess Leia anyone? James Dean as Han Solo perhaps?

My Eldest Daughter turned 21 on Tuesday. She's my sweetie. Among the many things she's been doing to celebrate these past couple weeks, we went out to eat at a local Outback with my mom and sister (along with the Wagner Women). It was yummy. Too bad my brother Johnny wasn't able to attend... I was the only male at the table. Ah, well, when life gives you women, make womenade, I always say...


OK, that's disgusting. Who in his right mind would post such a thing on his blog?

Oh, yeah, that's right... I would...

Well, I suppose that's all I should off-load for now. Better save some up for the next post! I have some theology brewing that is sure to test your patience! MUAHAHAHA!!!

Adios for now.

Dave the Gump

3 comments:

logankstewart said...

Ah, a good, random, transitionless post. A man after my own heart, I daresay.

I've only read each GRRM once. I'm sure I'll re-read the entire series one of these days. I, too, loved Storm for so many reasons. An awesome book.

Samples are great. I'm not sure if you've heard of NetGalley.com, but you can get free ARCs and stuff for e-readers for reviews. You may be interested in it.

Tornadoes... I'm tired of those things. Well, tired of the sirens, anyway. The storms themselves don't tend to bother me.

Shudder indeed.

The Monkeytail is awesome. Sounds like I've got my NoShaveNovember plans for this year now.

Bring on the theology. Or don't. Or whatever.

Paula Titus said...

That is a lot of reading! I've been reading tons of Grisham and Koontz, too bad I don't write as much as I read, maybe I'd get something done. :)

The facial hair thing is totally stuppiidd. Do people actually think that is attractive?

Funny cartoon :) When we had our bunny, my dog loved to nibble on her "eggs" ..haha.. Gross.

Abbie Josephsen said...

Haha, I'm glad Paula said it first! Please never ever do that with your beard Dave! keep it simple and nice, like it is now :)