Sunday, July 15, 2012

Full Steam Ahead


Wow. For some reason, I find that glacier photo incredible. Probably the way the sun and shadows are playing across the snow, adding a bit of punch to the grays and browns...

Hello, all. Miss me? Man, what a week. It's been a bit of an Armageddon in the Wagner Household. It would be poor form to elaborate, so I'll just say that Drama has reigned supreme, much to my utter disgust, frustration and anger. I spent a lot of time initially trying to make peace, then trying to prevent people from destroying each other, and now it's the "pick up the pieces and see what can be salvaged" stage. I despise it with every shred of my being.

Ah, well, I suppose people love their drama. I know I do, but it's always the kind that plays out on a movie screen or stage, not in my own home.

OK, enough of that. Just watch out if you plan on coming over any time soon...

"May I help you?"

So the big news is, of course, the Steam Summer Sale began this week! YYAAAYYY!!!! More games I won't play to add to my collection! Actually, it's in Day 4 of the sale as I write this, with the amazing deals flying fast and furious, but I've been surprisingly self-controlled. I've bought only 3 indy games, representing an investment of about $10 total. Not bad, when you consider a lot of the big titles on my Wish List have been on sale for up to 75% off, and I haven't bought any of them...

I found the page on my Steam Profile where I can see my Purchase History. I took a deep breath, got out the calculator, and decided to run the numbers. No one will find this interesting but me, but I'm going to relay the info anyway, cuz I makes up the rules around here! I started my Steam account on Sept 1, 2008, so it's been almost 4 years. In that time, I've accumulated 119 games, and spent a grand total of $722.20. If my math is accurate, that breaks down to an average of $6.07 per game, and also $15.37 per month, for 47 months. I suppose if I compared that to a person going to the movie theater once a month, that's probably close to a wash. Except some of those titles I've played for (an embarrassing amount of hours) over the years, which has to be a far higher value per dollar than theater going. I may go to the theater three times a year or so...

Anyway, what can I say? Wifey has her shoes, I have my games. (And books O_O)


So once the Wagner Women head off on their annual Albuquerque trip, I'll have the house to myself for a couple weeks (in the transition from July to August). So that means it's LAN party time! Woohoo! Also, it means I can walk around the house with my boxer shorts on my head and it won't matter! Woohoo! Unless I  do it during the LAN party.... which would be uncool...

And hopefully I'll be working out and writing a lot more as well. I had to stop working with Markshane (my personal trainer) back in April, because I got hammered in my taxes and had to radically reprioritize my money... I'm torn... I'm certainly thankful for working with Mark, but if I'd sent that $$$ off to the feds as my estimated taxes instead of giving it to Mark, I wouldn't have been in the mess I was. Well, it's settled down somewhat in that realm, so I'm going to start working with Mark again once a week, starting this week, actually. I'm trying to do more on my own... two nights ago, I did 250 push-ups of various kinds between the time I got home and bed time... well, it's better than nothing...

I don't know. Sometimes I want to just sit down with a calendar and plan out the way I would spend my week if I could... you know, get up at this time, do this for x amount of time, go to work from here to here, then get home and spend an hour doing this or that, etc. Plan the day out, specifically, and see if I could stick to it for a week. Maybe some of it would stick. Right now, about the only thing I can count on is my Sunday afternoon nap from 3 to 4:30...

I'm getting old and boring... man, this blog used to be fun to read! Now look at this mess! Household drama, Steam sales, gaming stats, workout nonsense, naps... BOOOORRIIINNNGGGGGG!!!!!!!



What can I say. Those are the times.

I did finish reading Chosen, by Jolea Harrison, and it was definitely worth the read. But too many days have passed since I finished reading, and too much nonsense has transpired for me to recall enough to write a proper review of it. So I'll just have to summarize by saying it was a fun story, a unique blend of Fantasy and Sci-fi and well worth the zero dollars it cost to buy it. Turns out it is part of a series... but it works well as a stand-alone (in my opinion), so don't let that put you off.


OK, well, I think I've bored you enough for now. Hopefully I'll find/think up some interesting things to post next time.

Thanks for dropping by,

Dave the Addled

3 comments:

Sally said...

Phew, you certainly had quite a time of it. Hope things are calming down now.

Anonymous said...

Time is a wondrous thing. Next month may be totally different - and better!

Beth A.

David Wagner said...

Sally: O, the stories I could tell... yeah, it was wild. Are things calmer now, or have they just moved underground? We shall see....

Beth: I'll get back to you next month... hope you're right!