Sunday, July 22, 2012

Learning To Walk Again, Learning To Talk Again


Love this guys' photos. His name is Bob Chatham, and lives in Florida. Apparently, he most enjoys taking pictures of sunsets and tweaking the color/contrast until the results are wonderfulness. Here's his Photosig gallery, if you'd like a good browse. If not, I have a couple more saved to HD and will post them eventually...

The weekend is ending weakly. Not much to complain about, really, which will mean this will be a short post! Because what is this blog, if not my incessant whining mixed with audio/visual absurdity?! Am I right? Eh? EH?

I've had the place myself a few days, and it has been peaceful and mellow. The Wagner Women return tonight (Sunday) for a few days, then they're off again, and I'll get the place to myself again. Everything's stayed clean, the kitchen still looks great, I vacuumed, made the bed, etc. It's eerie, not to have the place look like a tornado went through it every third day.

So it's official, next Saturday we'll be LANning it up here. I have a week to prepare. I think there will be a dozen of us here, saving the world from the Zombie Hoards and eating sandwiches. Can't wait, it should be a blast. Depending on how it goes, I may do it again the following Saturday. We shall see.


Beyond that, I'm turning 42 in a couple weeks, so I've got that to look forward to. Whenever I think of it, I get that old Devo song "Turning Japanese" stuck in my head, only I change it to "Turning Forty-Two," since it fits the song... yeah, I know... weird.... no idea why my brain chugs along the way it does.

Terrific sermon today at church. Pastor was in rare form. Not bad for an 86 year old. Check back here for the link to the audio sermon, once it goes live. I'll edit it in here. Since I know you have nothing to do but listen to sermons on the internet all day, right? Right?

So the Steam Summer Sale ends today. I can't believe how hooked I am by Steam. It's depressing, really. All I want to do is keep checking in with Steam to see what's on sale at the moment. It's like coffee, only worse. I keep telling myself I won't check today, but I always do. It's a strange addiction, and I don't particularly understand it. And it's not like I'm buying tons of stuff -- I've actually bought comparatively little...  still, I feel an overwhelming compulsion to keep checking, just to see what they're dumping for 75% or more off... like I'll miss the deal of the century if I don't look at the right time or something.

At least I now know I'm not alone... I keep seeing memes online now about the Steam Sales, and other guys with the same problem - buying games they know they'll likely never play, just because the deal is sooooo good... come on... an A-List game for $5? It was $50+ less than a year ago? Who can pass that up? Anyway, I've also seen it compared to certain women who buy shoes they know they'll likely never wear, because the deal is so good. So maybe it's a human nature thing...



Still, it's a bit unnerving to know how little self-control I have in that area. And actually, it spills over into other areas of my life/personality as well. I was praying about it this morning at the altar, in fact! My life seems to revolve (literally) around various forms of entertainment. I don't know if it's just the way I'm wired (and/or the way God made me), or if it's a predicament I've evolved into, through a series of selfish/bad choices. At this point, I think it goes way beyond the possibility of just deciding to be different. I've either got to accept it about me, or take drastic measures.

So I've pretty much decided we'll be moving into a smaller place, hopefully by September first. Yay! Moving! Yay! I'll use it as an excuse to get rid of half the nonsense in our house, I'm sure. Although it's easy to say that when all of the nonsense belongs to everyone else. I kid you not, if I removed everything in this house that was mine only, you'd never know anything was missing after the fact. How we accumulated so much junk is beyond me. My clutter is all digital...


Looks like I've got a cat theme going again tonight...

Not reading much at the moment. The Four-Hour Body by Tim Ferriss, that's about it. Been playing a lot of Diablo 3, Battlefield 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 lately. No TV. Very little music (although I did find this clip, with Dave Grohl from the Foo Fighters singing Walk and The Pretenders acoustically). Found a channel on YouTube with a buff Asian dude who has fitness clips that I like. I've been doing some of his push-up routines and have improved noticeably. I'll have my first workout since April with Markshane (my PT) tomorrow. So I've got that to look forward to.

So that's it. I've scraped the bottom of the barrel for content tonight. Wish it was more interesting. Man, no wonder it's a ghost town around here! If I wasn't me, I'd find other places to lurk as well...

Hope your week is a good one.

Dave the Dave

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My girls love cats, and while cats are sweet, to me they are another thing I have to squeeze in to an already crazy life. But I enjoy watching them do goofy stuff. My girls tell me the crazy antics that their cats and my dog engage in and it's really fun.

GET OUT OFF THE HOUSE AND EXPLORE!

Beth A.

Anonymous said...

ROFL! I love the wildebeest clip.

Yes...get out and explore. I know I would be. There's nothing quite as depressing as living in a city and never actually experiencing it. Go experience!