Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Sometimes Artworks and Sometimes It Doesn't...

Photo by Jan Machata

*Sigh*

Ah, if it weren't poor form in the extreme to air my family's laundry in public (so to speak), the tales I could unfold... or rather, my "side" of the tales I could unfold... my house... has come... unglued...

*sigh*

Well, only one thing to do! Yep... Art Night!

First is a Portuguese artist named Alexandre F. who goes by the street moniker Vhils... he does a type of street art I haven't seen before. He goes to brick walls that have been either painted over or covered in... what? Like a plaster coating of some kind? Anyway, he chips away at the paint/plaster to reveal the brick beneath, in ways that look like portraits, etc.

Well, here, take a look... click to see better!



Here's a close-up....


How cool is that? Here's the link to his website, with more galleries, if this piques your interest...

Next, we have a series of shots similar to the optical illusion 3D sidewalk chalk art I post pics of now and then... only the artist has drawn onto facing pages of spiral sketchbooks, such that when they're propped open at the right angle, it looks... well... awesome...


Please click to enlarge, so you can see the detail better. Haven't been able to track down the artist yet... if I do, I'll edit it in here.

Next is a cool piece of graffiti art by a NY street artist (of some renown) named "Cope"...


Hmm... I was trolling images looking for more work by this guy, since that portrait of Bruce Lee is amazing... and I find hundreds of photos of Cope's artwork... and all of it is just of his name sprayed on various walls, all cool and cartoony like that... which makes me wonder if he even did the portrait part, or if it is a collaboration of some kind...

Ah, well, in any case, it's awesome, I think...

Here's another cool bit of Graffiti before I move on...


So there's this whole subculture of art that revolves around carving books into sculptures of different kinds. It's a surprisingly diverse artform, and some of the results are spectacular...

These two are from Guy Laramee...



Click to see them a bit bigger, or go to his website for more...

And this next artist is a bit more abstract in his approach. His name is Brian Dettmer...


His website is fun to browse through, if this floats yer boat...

I better bring this to a close... I could post sand sculptures, ice sculptures, sidewalk art, bonsai trees, glassworks, cool steampunk stuff, and I'd be going all night...

I'll just post a way-cool comic strip drawn by a five-year-old and be done with it...


I think that's fitting to end on...

*sigh*

OK, back into the maelstrom...

Dave the Puzzled

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As book junkie, when my daughter starting using books for art, my skin would crawl. Now, as I look upon the beautiful sculpture, I can appreciate them while secretly hoping they were books on evolution :)

Beth A.

Abbie Josephsen said...

wow, all those artists have such talent!! that is amazing! The one who did the 3D art on the journals was incredible! That is just a great artist for sure!! Thanks for sharing :)

Odhynn said...

Eesh! The ideas some folks have...