Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Emperor's Soul, by Brandon Sanderson: A Review

I'm a big Brandon Sanderson fan. Since first reading (and loving) the Mistborn trilogy a few years back, I've read just about everything he's put out (except the Wheel of Time books), including the small stand-alone tales, like Infinity Blade, Legion, Firstborn and, now, The Emperor's Soul.

The main character, Shai, is a master Forger, but not just in the way we view forgery in this world. In Sanderson's world, a Forger can carve intricate soulstamps and fundamentally alter the history and substance of items and people. Betrayed and captured while trying to steal something from the Emperor's Palace, she is slated for execution... but a deal is offered to her that will spare her life, in exchange for her forging the Emperor himself a new soul.

That sets the tale up nicely, I think, without spoiling anything...

This is a short novel (167 pages), which I read in two sittings, and I enjoyed every page of it. I wish I could put my finger on how/why some writers are able to infuse their stories with something wonderful that pulls you along, while others seem to craft stories that militate against you, making you have to work for each page. Sanderson is a joy to read, and I always seem to find myself at the end of his books far too quickly for my taste. I never recall breathing a sigh of relief when I finish one of his books, like I'm done with a marathon or something (like other books/authors I've read).

As is typical with Sanderson, the magic system is this book is fun, memorable and well-thought-out. The characters and scenes are very well done as well. The ending is perfect.

Summary: 5/5 stars. I can see no flaw in this tale. An engaging, enjoyable, fun (short) read. And at $3, it's well worth the money.

4 comments:

Abbie Josephsen said...

Yay for Sanderson!! Can't wait to read the new one coming out in November! I'll need to borrow your tome again to remind myself of all the good parts and the cliffhanger though :D

Anonymous said...

Great review! I think I'll splurge on the $3.00.

Beth A.

logankstewart said...

Reminds me that I still need to read the "Alloy of Law" book, too. Was the Infinity Blade tie-in book any good? I only recently played the game and enjoyed it quite a bit for what it was. Thanks for the review!

David Wagner said...

I enjoyed the Infinity Blade story... though I wish it were longer. I keep hoping for a continuation of the tale...