Thursday, May 23, 2013

Ennui Go!


Ah, the lazy days of summer are upon us... well, upon me, anyway. That's the excuse I'm giving for my lack of timely blog activity these past couple weeks. I'm sorry, I'm just focused on other things of late. It's not that I don't love you anymore, I do! Well, most of you I still love... one or two of you have been downgraded to "really like, but am starting to have some concerns about"....

The ups and downs of acting class are spiking high again, thankfully. We're each picking a scene from a movie/play that we feel will give us each a chance to work on what we feel is a main weakness of ours. I picked a scene from a movie I watched last week called Five Minutes of Heaven, with Liam Neeson and James Nesbitt, which is an intense film and has many terrific scenes in it. My weakness (among several, lol) is finding the right balance between "internal" energy and "external" energy, which I've talked about at length in here before. The scene could theoretically be played anywhere on the spectrum, from calm to near-frantic. It will be fun to experiment.

That's the other cool element of this exercise - we'll be working on the scenes for the next five to six weeks, so lots of rehearsal and experimentation.


So I bought the movie Lincoln on Blu-ray, to add to my collection of movies starring the great Daniel Day-Lewis. His portrayal of Abraham Lincoln was every bit as incredible as "they" said it was. No wonder he's the only man to ever win three Best Actor Oscars... Oddly enough, while searching for a scene for my acting class, I also bought a DVD copy of There Will Be Blood, in which DDL gives one of his other Oscar-Winning Performances.... the movie's a downer, but it is remarkably rich, visually, with some terrifically staged long-shots, and of course, DDL is remarkable. I think he should have won for Gangs Of New York as well in '02, but he lost out that year. I don't feel too badly about it, though... he lost to Adrien Brody (The Pianist)... which was a remarkable performance as well... one of my faves... Hmm... I used the word "remarkable" three times in this paragraph... four now, actually! Which is pretty remarkable. Make that five!

Speaking of movies, and Oscar-caliber performances, from what I'm reading Robert Redford is being talked about for a Best Actor nod next year for the upcoming film All Is Lost, and get this... he is the only actor in the film (a cast of one!) and he has exactly zero lines of dialog. He's apparently an expert sailor, alone on his storm-damaged boat in the open sea, trying to survive. Yep, a one-man show... no dialog.... 76 years old and did his own stuntwork... and the word is he KILLED it... can't wait to see it.

OMG look at this next photo...


Umm... WOW....

And now, a toddler works the crowd at a soccer game...



lol, well played, little man...

Bah, sorry about all the movie/acting talk... that's just where my heads at of late, I can't help it. I know it's terribly boring, but hey, it is what it is.

Gonna bail on you all. Talk to you later, eh!

Dave the Canadian, eh!

No comments: