Sunday, October 20, 2013

In Which I Ramble About Agents and Auditions


OK, stop me if you've heard this one before...

Wait! I haven't even said anything yet! Why are you stopping me already?

Oh, right... I'm into blog recycling... I forgot...

Soooo, here's the latest... prepare to be bombarded with text...

Yes, I got "the call" from the Agency I showcased for a few weeks back, and I went in this past Friday (10/18) for "the meeting", which went well (I believe). I mean, I left the meeting with the necessary forms to fill out to begin our business partnership. I met with Frank (a principal partner), did my monologue for him, and apparently passed muster, so I'm in like Flynn. SUPER stoked, of course. It's like a dream, really. So now, after an initial post-signing lull (typical for newbies to begin with, but also apparently heading into the holiday season brings a lull of its own too), I'll start receiving audition opportunities for local commercials and an occasional film (Indy, or larger). San Diego is a "non-union" production town, though I'm still a little fuzzy on the implications of all of that "union/non-union" stuff.

Bottom line for me is that I'm ready to try anything.

Ironically enough, I actually went to an audition today. This was very cool...

Let me back up a moment...

So before class last Thursday (10/17, the day before "the meeting" with the agency (this project is not related to the agency)), a classmate of mine introduced me to a friend of his who is involved in a local production, which is looking to cast a character in his early forties, with a Russian accent. He asked if I could do the accent, I said yes, so that's why he introduced us. I did the accent for her (just improvised some stuff), and she took my contact info down. She sent me the lines, and gave me an audition time, and I went today...

I was supposed to have a monologue ready, preferably in the accent. At first, I wondered if I should just pick one I already had memorized and try to apply the accent to it (since I had one day to prepare - sound familiar? lol), but then I remembered a play I'd written in about 2000, and in it was a monologue written for a Russian character! Coincidence? Most definitely. I'd never performed it (or any of the play) before, so I tracked it down, pulled a 5 minute section out of it, cleaned it up a bit, and memorized that bad boy...

A quick side note. The piece is pretty heavy. When I had it memorized Friday night, and performed it for my wife in a practice run (to see what she thought of the accent) I was amazed at how it impacted me. I literally wept afterwards for several minutes, unable to control it. It was really odd - I'd never had that happen before. It scared me, actually. Literally, I couldn't stop. I worried that if I performed it today at the audition, and started crying like that, it would be bad, you know?

Anyway, I also studied the lines for the scene. Chest in a worry-knot, I drifted off to sleep in the wee hours, with accents and lines and concerns coursing through my brainpan.

Went to the audition this morning - turns out it's a sci-fi web series! And it's a legit production, too. Not just a group of people with a camera and a few scrounged neighbors trying to act. These guys have their act together. I was very impressed. So, there were maybe 8 people there from the production - director, writer, producers, various tech people, with the gear all set up. I watched another actor do his monologue (which they filmed), and he was great. An actor was there who was reading for another role as well (the scene I was reading for had two characters in it). All in all, my nerves were calm - it was a cool setting, the people were great, the vibe was casual and mellow, yet professional. These guys want to create something strong and special. I think they're on to something.

So I sat in front of the camera, did my 5 minute monologue, which they filmed. I think I did well enough. I only dropped a pair of lines, which didn't matter much, and I think the accent was consistent, if not wholly authentic (in spite of my best efforts). Then afterwards, they asked me some questions, which I answered, also filmed. Finally, we went to the scenes, which were filmed as well. We read the lines together, rotating out the actors at intervals. It was a little tricky, since the scene actually had more physical action than dialog, which was hard to portray sitting in chairs, holding the scripts. We were supposed to be doing things (namely, sitting at a diner table, eating, drinking coffee, then walking outside, etc) that will definitely add to the dialog when the whole thing is put together. I trust they saw enough of what they needed to to make a good judgement call.

Sorry, I'm rambling.

Bottom line, I think I did well on the monologue, and kinda spotty on the scene reading. I'll definitely need to work on technique in both cases. I'm worried that the braces will be a deal breaker. I'm going to talk to my orthodontist about the possibility of other options, as far as corrective dental work, to finish out the last year. I would love to be involved in this project in some capacity. The plan is that there will be eight web episodes filmed (1 to 2 per month), and then hopefully a feature film, if the web series proves popular enough (views = investor $$$ for movie)

If I get a part, or get called back for more scene reading, I'll let you all know.

A funny post-script. As I left, I thought my car got towed. It was in the 1 hour parking, and I was there for two and a half hours. At one point toward the end, when I thought about it, I ducked out to check on my car, and it wasn't where I thought I'd left it. I was so bummed, but I put it out of my head, went back, finished the scene work, etc., then when I was done, asked about what the procedure was for dealing with a towed vehicle. We went to the office, got the number for the towing company, and as I strolled back to where my car should have been, realized I was mistaken, and it was right there. I mean, right where it was supposed to be. I honestly have no idea what happened. Total "space cadet" moment. I felt like such an idiot. I went back in and told them all was well, sorry for the trouble, and drove away, tail between my hind legs...

All in all, a surreal, wonderful day. I got to experience my first legitimate audition, and survived it... better than survived it, I think I did pretty well. At least, well enough to actually be considered, whether I end up with a part or not. I had a great time, either way.

All that to say, it's been a great day (notwithstanding the towing mix-up, lol), and actually, it's been quite a week. Things are moving so swiftly! And now, I'm swiftly off to bed.

Adios for now,

Dave the Incessant Rambler

EDIT: Breaking news! I went back again today (Sunday 10/20) and did an additional reading. I got the part. We start filming in January... whoa... O_O!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave...yahoo for you again...you are soo talented...have fun with it...I'm your biggest fan..K